Tech Giant Samsung finally decided to discontinue Note 7 after lab testing smartphone set caught fire, The firm already facing criticism and recalled all the sets earlier in September, however the new batch still has the same battery problem. Tuesday’s developments were the latest twists and turns in a global recall of 2.5 million Note 7 smartphones.
Samsung said in a filing with South Korean regulators that it would permanently cease production and sales of the device, following a string of reported incidents in which supposedly safe replacements of the smartphone overheated and in some cases caught fire.
“Taking our customer’s safety as our highest priority, we have decided to halt sales and production of the Galaxy Note 7,” the company said.
Some of the cases reported by BBC
The firm had already reduced Galaxy Note 7 production volumes.
Owners are expected to be able to return the phones for a refund or an exchange for a different Samsung phone.
The firm had earlier said it would stop sales of the phone.
“We recently readjusted the production volume for thorough investigation and quality control, but putting consumer safety as top priority, we have reached a final decision to halt production of Galaxy Note 7s,” the company said.
“For the benefit of consumers’ safety, we stopped sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 and have consequently decided to stop production.”