Codenamed “Honami,” the handset has been described in a previous report as a “One Sony” kind of handset, a device that would pack some of the best features Sony has to offer. At the same time, we’ll remind you that the Honami is still in rumor phase, and we can’t confirm these rumors yet.
VR-Zone also reveals that “every department of Sony and not just Sony Mobile” are working on creating the device and the Honami would offer some very interesting camera features.
The Honami would also offer new software features to complement the hardware:
- All new image processing algorithm, similar to Sony’s Cyber-shot digital cameras
- Completely revamped camera UI, software goodies from Cyber-shot digital cameras of 2013
- Superior Auto Scene Recognition, an improvement over the Superior Auto mode found in the Xperia Z/ZL
Apparently the Honami’s camera sensor will be only second to the Nokia Pureview 808 in size (see image below) surpassing competitors including the Galaxy Camera, the HTC One and the Xperia Z and Galaxy S4. The number of megapixels are not mentioned this time around, although that previous rumor said the handset will pack either a 16- or 20-megapixel camera.
- The device is said to have a profile of about 10mm
- the handset will be made of glass, metal and carbon fiber
- 5-inch Android handset
- Full HD display
- dedicated Walkman audio chip
- 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
- Adreno 330 graphics
- 2GB of RAM
- 2700-to-3000mAh battery
While everything we know is currently considered pure rumor, the Honami could get an international release as soon as August or September.
Sony has been on quite the roll with its latest devices, with the Xperia Z and ZL getting high marks across the board. Luckily, it looks like Sony isn’t done for 2013, and we’ll be seeing a few more great devices with some awesome innards in the coming months.
Sony holding a press event at IFA 2013, it would be the perfect time to launch the Sony Honami and possibly take a bit of shine off of the other big smartphone release at IFA, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
If the Honami is launched at IFA 2013, the normally calm floors could turn into a battleground for two titans of the smartphone market in the Note 3 and the Sony Honami.