The Higher Education Commission (HEC) has announced the next phase of the Prime Minister’s (PM’s) Electric Wheelchair Scheme for University Students that is aimed at facilitating youth students having ambulatory disability, so that they can be assisted in their movements and contribute effectively towards the progress of the country.
Under the PM’s Electric Wheelchair Scheme for University Students, the Government will provide motorized / electric wheelchairs to disabled students studying in Public Sector Universities of Pakistan with the object to facilitate them in their movements in order to complete their higher education.
- Has a physical and permanent disability to such a degree that the person is unable to move from place to place without the aid of a wheelchair;
- Is not able to cross curbs because of paralysis or loss of function of the person’s legs;
- Is missing one or both legs; or
- Has a permanently impaired or unsteady gait that makes it impossible or impractical to walk as a means of transportation;
- Is enrolled in undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. programs in the fall 2022-23 session in HEC-recognized public sector universities across the country;
- Has valid certificate of special ambulatory need from relevant government institution duly verified by head of the respective institution.
How to Apply?
Prospective students would fill in their particulars via online application forms on a given link at HEC website. The form would be printed, necessary documents attached and hard copy submitted through office of the respective Vice Chancellor or designated person at the university/Degree Awarding Institute.
Universities will forward all eligible cases to HEC for distribution of wheel chairs.
Execution of the Program
Meanwhile, the execution of the PM’s Electric Wheelchair Scheme for University Students would be carried out by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), which is going to ensure that distribution is being made transparently and on merit to those students, who fulfill the eligibility criteria for the program.
Based on the criteria, the list of students declared eligible to receive the wheel chair would be shared with the respective universities and eligible students would also be informed via email and a letter addressed at his residential address to collect the wheel chair through the University’s relevant department.
The Universities via HEC Regional Centers would be responsible to deliver the wheel chair to the concerned student and forward a receiving to the HEC in this regard.
The details of the vendor would be shared with the student, so that any repair or service during the warranty period may be made immediately and free of cost.