Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) invites applications for HEC Post-Doctoral Fellowships Programme (Phase III). All Pakistani and AJK nationals are eligible to apply for the fellowships. The eligible candidates can apply not later than September 20. 2021.
The candidates should carefully read the user manual before submitting the application, as the applicants will be assessed on the information and documents submitted on the HEC online portal. The candidates therefore must be careful as HEC reserves the right to cancel any application without giving any reason. Therefore, avoid errors and do not give any false information.
Application Deadline: 20 September 2021
Eligibility Criteria for HEC Post-Doctoral Fellowships Programme (PhaseIII)
The Applicant must:
- Hold PhD degree from HEC recognised local or international university (in possession of HEC attested PhD degree or HEC Equivalence Certificate for foreign PhD).
- Be a regular employee of public/private sector HEC recognised university/degree awarding institution or public sector R&D organisation (recognised by Pakistan Council of Science & Technology).
- Not have availed any post-doctoral fellowship either funded or self-funded, local or foreign, before.
- Not be more than 45 years of age (on the closing date of application submission).
- Possess five years’ recognised work experience in Pakistan after completion of foreign PhD.
- Have a placement letter in top 200 QS World Ranking Universities/research institutes from a relevant supervisor along with his CV.
- Have acquired requisite qualification on or before closing date.
Terms & Conditions
- Selected scholars will have to ensure that entire research is carried out abroad. They have to be physically present in the same University/department for which approval is granted.
- The minimum duration for stay abroad is nine months. The selected scholar cannot come back to Pakistan during fellowship period except with prior permission from HEC.
- In case the scholar returns back to Pakistan without completing nine months of the postdoctoral fellowship at host university/institute and without obtaining prior permission from HEC, the foreign stipend will not be admissible. HEC reserves the right to adjust/recover any advance payment or initiate legal proceedings, as the case may be.
- The person availing the fellowship would be required to sign a surety bond co-signed by a guarantor requiring him/her to return to Pakistan on completion of post-doctoral fellowship and serve in the university/institution/organization in Pakistan for a period of three (03) years.
- Only the shortlisted applicants has to send the printed copies of online application form along with all required documents “Through Proper Channel”. Forwarding of an application by the employer would be binding for the employer to release the candidate on selection to avail post-doctoral fellowship for the maximum one year period.
- Submit a clearly written research proposal outlining how he/she intends to satisfy at least 2 of the 5 outcomes/deliverables identified below:
- Production of Books/Manuscripts for Publication
- Production of Papers in Peer Reviewed High Impact Factor Journals
- Creation of Funded Research Linkages and Collaborations
- Access to equipment and high impact research collaborators not available in Pakistan
- Creation and Introduction of New Programmes and Courses in Pakistan..
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship application will be processed on the basis of online information/data provided by the applicants and in case of any error/omission and misrepresentation, HEC reserves the right to reject the applicant at any stage.
How To Apply for HEC Post-Doctoral Fellowships Programme (PhaseIII)
- Applications can be submitted in response to an advertisement. Submission must be made to the HEC online portal (research.hec.gov.pk). Please go through the User Manual before filling out an online application. Once the required details are filled online, please upload all the required documents in ONE PDF file and submit the application before the deadline.
- The submitted applications are assessed by other active researchers with great expertise within the field. HEC evaluates the process continuously and has clear guidelines for the assessment of work. The assessment shall be of high quality and be conducted in an objective, impartial and transparent manner.
- Applicants are required to have a confirmed placement letter from the Top 200 QS world-ranked universities/Institutes. The online application will only proceed further if the prospective host supervisor confirms/approves the request of the applicant for a postdoc position in the online application system. Otherwise, the application will not proceed further.
- Applicants have to deposit/online transfer Rs.1000/- (non-refundable), as an application processing fee in favor of Director General Finance, HEC in A/C No. 1742-79001334-01 Habib Bank limited.
- Only SUBMITTED applications will be processed. SAVED applications will not be considered.
- The application will be processed on the basis of online information/documents provided by the applicant on the online portal. In case of any error/omission and misrepresentation/concealment of facts, HEC reserves the right to reject the application/cancel selection at any stage. Incomplete applications and those submitted without complete supporting documents/NOCs will be rejected.
Documents Required (in ONE PDF file):
- Your updated/accurate CV
- Research Proposal as per format
- Letter of Acceptance as Post Doc/ Visiting Research fellow (maximum two pages): The letter must be on the University letterhead (List of Universities available on the website). The proposed Research, its title, why is it beneficial for both parties etc must be slightly discussed in the body of the letter. If the official authorized to sign the letter is different from the Host Supervisor, then the name of Host Supervisor must be mentioned in the letter. The letter should confirm the Host University commitment and how much it will charge on account of Bench Fee/ Lab Experimentation Cost for the proposed project.
- Curriculum Vitae of the Host Supervisor:The CVs should be in standard form (maximum two pages) and include the following information:
- Full Name
- Professional Training/Education
- Chronological List of Positions
- List of up to five publications related to the proposed project, in standard citation format
- List of up to five activities related to the proposed project. These activities may include: current or previous grants; teaching; collaborations; leading workshops/conferences; community outreach or engagement; consulting; etc.
- NOC from current Employer
- HEC attested PhD Degree (for local PhD degree holders only)
- HEC Equivalence Certificate (for foreign PhD degree holders only)
- Foreign PhD Degree & Transcript with authentic translation (for foreign PhD Degree holders only)
- Duty Resumption Notification (Only for the applicants who have completed PhD during service after obtaining study leave)
- Experience Certificates (Only for foreign PhD degree holders in support of their claim of five years’ recognized work experience)
- NOC for HEC Scholarships/research projects (Completed/Ongoing, as PI or Co-PI)
The maximum Fellowship amount per scholar for the total duration of the Scholarship (Including Living Allowance, Health Insurance, Research/Lab Cost and Air Ticket).
|USD 1,600 per month
|USD 2,000 Once
|Research Lab/Experimentation Cost***
|USD 6,000 Once
|Air Ticket (Return)****
|PKR 250,000 Once
* The stipend to the scholars will be paid according to the host country. The list of stipend rates for various countries is given in Annexure-3(A).
**Health Insurance will be paid upon providing documentary evidence/receipt of payment.
***Average Research/Lab Experimentation Cost has been estimated @ US$6000. However, this will be paid as per need on the basis of research/lab work experimentation/procurement of data/survey, etc. mentioned in the research proposal submitted at the time of application. This has been estimated for 60% of the fellowships.
****Actual economy class air ticket will be paid. The national airline will be preferred on the routes where they operate.
Selection Process & Procedures
After initial scrutiny of applications by the project office, the eligible applications will be forwarded online to reviewers/ experts for evaluation as per “Assessment Proforma“. The experts will be requested to assess applications in the first three sections of the proforma.
In order to streamline the assessment process, “Evaluation Guidelines” will be observed. On receipt of the online assessment, the same will be reviewed by the project office. The applicants recommended by subject experts will be shortlisted for an interview.
The shortlisted applicants will appear before the panel of reviewers for the award of fellowship or otherwise. The members will have the power to re-assess an applicant in previous sections in case the candidate fails to convincingly present his/her case.
In the circumstances, where the applicant is not selected for award of fellowship, the individual may submit a written “Notice of Grievance” to the Project Office, Human Resource Development Division, Higher Education Commission within Seven (07) days of the result being announced.
The notice will be submitted via email along with all the essential evidence of the case for a re-evaluation of the case and necessary clarifications from concerned quarters.
If the competent authority (Advisor HRD) approves that the application has been evaluated fairly and ample justification exists for rejection of the appeal, the notice will be disposed of and the decision will be communicated with reasons and justifications.
If the applicant still requests re-evaluation of his/her application. S/he will be required to submit a re-evaluation fee of Rs 10,000/-. The Project office will assign new experts for evaluation of the same application and proceed as per section 5 above with fresh evaluation. If the outcome of the second assessment also results in rejection of the application, the decision will be final and no further representation will be entertained.
Change of Host University/ supervisor for a selected postdoc fellow
The change can be allowed provided the new host university is at the same or higher ranking (QS world ranking of the same year) than the old university for which he/she was selected before the departure of the candidate.
If the offer from the host institution expires, the candidate can provide another invitation letter from the same or higher ranking foreign university (QS world ranking of the same year) within 60 days of the grant of permission. After the expiry of this period, the offer will stand withdrawn.
After departure, a change of university or supervisor will only be possible in case the supervisor has passed away or has moved to another institute. The ranking of the new host institution should not be lower than an original university in this case as well. The change will be allowed with the approval of Advisor HRD.
The new host university and supervisor will confirm that the same research will be carried out (the research title will be mentioned in the letter). The parent organization will also provide a “No Objection Certificate” to change of host university/supervisor.
For any query feel free to contact HEC Call Center UAN: 051-111-119-432 OR 0334-111-9432
Ms. Sara Siraj Abbasi
Assistant Project Manager
Higher Education Commission, Pakistan
- User Manual
- Assessment Proforma
- Evaluation Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- HEC online portal
- HEC Post-Doctoral Fellowships Programme (PhaseIII) official page
READ MORE: Scholarships
READ MORE: HEC