The Honourable Supreme Court vide its order dated March 6, 2018, has directed restoration of the Law Graduate Assessment Test (LAW-GAT) by the Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) through the Higher Education Commission (HEC). The objective of the assessment test is to ensure proper scrutiny and evaluation of a law graduate desirous to join the legal profession so that only competent individuals possessing the necessary basic knowledge of law may enter the legal profession for practicing law.
Therefore, a Law Graduate only becomes eligible to apply to a Bar Council for enrolment as an Advocate if he/she qualifies the assessment test to be conducted by the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan having been authorised by the PBC pursuant to the aforementioned order of the Honourable Supreme Court and read the Section 26(cc) of Legal Practitioners and Bar Council’s Act 1973 and rules of PBC.
Persons having passed Bachelor’s degree in Law or equivalent from a university recognised by HEC/PBC are eligible to apply.
The test will consist of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Revised Curriculum of Law GAT test can be downloaded from here
- The Law-GAT test tentatively will be held on February 20, 2022 Any change in test date will be communicated through http://etc.hec.gov.pk
- Applicants who registered through HEC Online registration process will download their Roll Number Slips through http://etc.hec.gov.pk a week before the test date
- Email/SMS will be sent to registered applicants for test date, time and venue.
- Candidates are required to provide valid email/mobile number while filing online application form.
- A print of Roll Number Slip and Orignal CNIC will be required to enter in test center.
Details of Test Centers
The examination will be conducted in the following test centers
- Applicants may select any test center from the list available in the application form.
- Please note that said test will be held on any above if minimum 100 applicants will select that center
- Please also note that test center once selected will not be changed after registration.
How to Register
- Please visit the following link http://etc.hec.gov.pk for online registration.
- In case of any difficulty during online registration please send email at [email protected] or visit HEC Secretariat or HEC regional Centers for guidance.
- Application submission comprises of two steps; profile completion using ‘My Profile’ section and application submission using ‘Law Admission Test’ link on menu panel in left hand side bar of online portal.
- Only SUBMITTED application will be considered for Law-GAT test and application in SAVE or INCOMPLETE mode will not be entertained
- The test fee i.e Rs 3000/- is to be deposited online/ATM in the Account No. 1742902018152 Account Title Higher Education Commission Bank Bank: Habib Bank Limited Brach Code 1742. Bank Draft/Pay Order will not be accepted.
- Applicants are required to submit Original fee deposit Slip/ATM/Online Transfer through courier at Member’s House HEC Sector H-8, Islamabad on or before the last date of registration.
- Please mention your CNIC number at the backside of the deposit slip
- The examination fee is non-refunable and non-transferable.
- Deadline for Online Registration
- Last date for online registration is February 7, 2022
- 50% score is required to pass the Law-GAT test.
- Applicants will have to meet other criteria, if any, as per Rules and Regulations of the Pakistan Bar Council
- Applicants will have maximum of three chances to clear the test. HEC will conduct the test on quarterly basis.