The first coronavirus related death has been reported in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa according to health authorities. The patient was a 50 year old male from Mardan, KPK.
It is the first coronavirus related death in Pakistan out of a total of 266 confirmed patients out of which 4 have recovered and discharged.
Read more: Coronavirus: Total cases in Pakistan rise to 266.
The Finance and Health Minister of KPK confirmed the news first on Twitter where he wrote:
Sad to report one patient who passed away in Mardan.
Special Adviser to Prime Minister on Health Dr Zafar Mirza also confirmed the death of the first novel coronavirus patient on his Twitter where he wrote:
With deep regret I confirm the death of first Pakistani due to coronavirus. A 50 yr old male from Mardan recently returned from Umra, developed fever, cough & breathing difficulty and tested +ve for corona virus. Contacts are being screened. Our condolences to the family.
This is a laboratory report of the coronavirus patient that passed away. The name of the patient is hidden for privacy.
Earlier Geo news and ARY News both published a fake news on their respective websites about the first coronavirus related death which was later debunked by Dr Zafar Mirza who wrote on Twitter:
I can confirm that until now there is no corona related death in Pakistan. Geo report about a death in GB is incorrect. The corona virus test of the patient is -ve. I request media reporters that in rush to break the news first, please don’t misreport. Check your facts twice,
KPK Government The Corona Task Force met today, with distancing in place. I am proud of how quickly our team is rallying to support each other under the leadership of Chief Minister KPK, Mahmood Khan.
- The entry of General Public to all Secretariat, Directorates, District Offices (except District Administration) has been stopped forthwith as it is for their protection and social distancing, as a preventive measure.
- All private ceremonies in homes, closed compounds shall stand banned.
- Grocery, medicine, and essential items shops shall remain open 27/7. All other shops shall remain open only from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm. an appeal is made to the public to avoid making rush in bazaars during these hours.
- All tourist spots will be vacated, including in upper parts of the Provinces, aside rivers and other spots. Further, Information Department will inform the intending tourists through media to forewarn them to avoid visiting tourist destinations for the time being, as the schools and colleges were closed off due to increasing social distancing, which is the most suitable way for reducing and curbing the spread of Coronavirus.
- Timings of all government offices have been revisited, From Monday to Thursday essential offices shall remain open from 10:00 am to 4:00 am. On Friday, the offices shall close at 12:00 hours. Secretaries shall ensure on-call availability after these timings of staff for urgent work.
- All Official meetings of more than 5 people have been suspended, Meeting will preferably be held on Videocon, Speakerphone and other electronic methods.
- Offices of all Ministers, Advisers, Special Assistants shall be closed except for Minister Health and Advisor Information.
- Visits to tourists’ destinations are banned.
- Eateries will be closed for dining till 5th April, whilst home deliveries and takeaways will be permitted.
- Barbershops and beauty parlours will be closed for the next 15 days.
- Banks must ensure ATMs are equipped with sanitizers.
- Revised timings of government offices are 10:00 am to 04:00 pm from Monday to Thursday, while government offices will close at noon on Friday.
- Government official meetings of more than five people stand suspended.
- Except for offices of Minister of Health and Adviser on Information, offices of all remaining ministers, advisers, and special assistants will be closed.
Read more: DIY: How to make hand sanitizer at home.