Islamabad police baton-charged medical students and doctors protesting outside the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) in Islamabad on Wednesday.
The protest comes after the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) blacklisted several colleges and universities in Kyrgyzstan.
Earlier, the PMC announced that graduates returning Kyrgyzstan will only be allowed to practice in the country after giving a test.
According to the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC), the decision to blacklist several varsities came after they failed to meet the mandatory criteria required.
The following varsities have been blacklisted by PMC:
- ABC Academy Bishkek
- Asian Medical Institute
- Jalal-Abad State Medical University
- Avicenna Medical University
- Adam Medical University
- International Medical University
- International Medical Institute, International University of Science & Business
- Jalal-Abad People’s Friendship University A. Batirov Medical Faculty
- Kyrgyz-Uzbek University Medical Faculty
- Royal Metropolitan Medical University
- S. Tentishev Asian Medical Institute
- Salymbekov University Faculty of Medicine
- Scientific Research Medical Social Institute
- International Atatürk-Alatoo University Faculty of Medicine
- International School of Medicine (IUK ISM) (license No: 180000058), Tokmok Campus
Medical students are currently protesting at Srinagar Highway which is blocked for traffic. The protestors are demanding that they will not budge unless the demands are met.
Following this, the Islamabad police have baton-charged and arrested several medical students and doctors. They also fired water cannons at the protestors as well.
Protestors have also taken to Twitter to highlight the issue while demanding Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) to take back its decision and recognize the blacklisted Kyrgyzstan colleges and universities.
Raise you voice against the injustice of PMC for already graduates and enrolled students— سيدمسلم شاه (@SyedMuslimJan) January 6, 2021
When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty. @PSFKYR @KyrgyzstanPsf @JusticeForFMGS @DWMOfficial #JusticeForKyrgyzMedicos #StopOppressingFmgs pic.twitter.com/ldpXkyb2J5
NO blackmailing, you are made to serve us not to opress#JusticeForKyrgyzMedicos#StopOppressingFmgs#GeoNews @geonews_urdu@arydigitalasia@pmc_org@ImranKhanPTI@GovtofPakistan@OfficialPFDAll@kyrgystanpsf@psfkyr@justiceforfmgs— Dr Ali Usama Asif (@AliUsamaAsif1) January 6, 2021
Read more: Inspector General (IG) Islamabad Police replaced.