Bannu‚ 22 security personnel were martyred and 30 others injured in a bomb explosion in Bannu cantonment area today (Sunday).
According to initial reports‚ the explosive had been fitted in a civilian vehicle hired by security forces. The explosion occurred when the convoy of security forces was set to leave for Miranshah.
The injured have been shifted to CMH Bannu.
Speaking to CNN, Shahidullah Shahid, spokesman for the proscribed Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed that the militant organisation was responsible for the attack and said that their attacks on security forces would continue.
President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif have strongly condemned the Bannu blast and expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives.
In a message‚ the President said that such cowardly attacks can never weaken the resolve of our law-enforcing authorities and the nation to continue pursuing their struggle against the scourge of militancy and terrorism.
The President also called upon the concerned to ensure that best medical assistance is provided to the injured.
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has also strongly condemned the attack on security personnel in Bannu.
He sought report from IG FC that why proper care was not taken while hiring private vehicles.
Interior Minister expressed sympathies with the family of those martyred in the attack.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Engineer Shaukatullah‚ Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab Chief Ministers Pervez Khattak and Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif‚ former President Asif Ali Zardari‚ Chairman Tehrik-e-Insaf Imran Khan and MQM Chief Altaf Hussain have condemned the attack and expressed sympathy with the bereaved family.