PEMRA – PAKISTAN ELECTRONIC MEDIA REGULATORY AUTHORITY has issued one more notice as a Reminder To Curtail Sensationalism in News Reporting to All Satellite TV Channel Licensees (News and Current Affairs) dated 15 October 2018 to To Curtail Sensationalism in Reporting
The notice issued is a reminder to already directives issued to All Satellite TV Channel Licensees (News and Current Affairs) dated September 3.
The notice issued serves as directives on the coverage/reporting of case related to violence, crime, sexual abuse, terrorism, kidnapping, natural disaster etc. on the news channels.
Some of the TV channels are not abiding by the provisions of the Electronic Media Code of Conduct, 2015 and PEMRA has taken notice of it.
PEMRA has ones again advised the TV channels to ensure compliance of Clause 8 of Electronic Media Code of Conduct-2015, violation of which will be liable for strict legal action under Section 27, 29 and 30 of PEMRA Ordinance 2002. amended by PEMRA (Amendment) Act 2007.
The notice issued on September 3, had clearly stated that PEMRA has arranged various training sessions with the media houses in order to educate and sensitized them about PEMRA laws to curtail sensationalism. Unfortunately, many news and current affair channels have ignored the PEMRA guidelines.
PEMRA had also suggested strict compliance to the Clause 8 of Electronic Media Code of Conduct-2015 on September 3.
Clause 8. Coverage of incidents of accidents. violence, and crime,
The licensee shall ensure that
- Coverage of incidents or accidents, violence and crime shall not incite. glamorize 01 10 any way promote violence or anti-social behavior and such coverage does not prejudice the success of an ongoing security operation.
- The appropriate warning shall be given upfront for content which may be potentially disturbing or upsetting so as to enable viewers to make an informed choice.
- Scenes with violence or steering such as close-up shots of persons brutally tortured or shall not be shown.
- Reporting of incidents of crime, accident, natural disaster or violence does not create hurdles in the dispensation of the duties of law enforcement agencies, rescue agencies, hospitals, and doctors. etc.
- Extreme caution shall be exercised in handling themes. plots or scenes that depict sex offense and violence, including rape and other sexual assaults.
- The identity of any victim of rape. sexual abuse. terrorism or kidnapping or such victim, the family shall not be revealed without prior permission of the victim or victim, guardian where the victim is a minor.
- During any ongoing rescue or security operation, identity and number of victims or other important information shall not be revealed unless the same is warranted by the rescue or security agency in charge of the operation.
- There is no live coverage of any ongoing security operation by the law enforcement agencies and the licensee shall air only such information as may be warranted by the security agency in charge of the operation.
- The licensee shall not airhead money or bounty other than announced by the competent authority.
- The licensee shall ensure that coverage of the activities in the conflict zone is carried out in accordance with the guidelines issued by the concerned law enforcement agencies.
- The licensee shall not air speculative or biased reporting that may compromise arty security operation.
- The licensee shall ensure that any of its reporter, cameraman or other crew does not enter the area where security operation is being carried out without prior permission of the security agency in charge of the operation.
- The licensee shall provide necessary protective gear and training to its reporters, cameramen and other crew deployed for coverage of any crime incident or conflict zone.
PEMRA ADVICE DATED 15 OCTOBER 2018
PEMRA ADVICE DATED SEPTEMBER 3,2018