Meta-owned WhatsApp has announced that it now supports chat transfer from Android to iOS and vice versa, which is going to make it much easier for users to switch between these smartphones. Until now, it was only possible to transfer chat history between ecosystems with help of some third-party apps, but these methods aren’t free and have plenty of bugs of their own.
However, WhatsApp users can now transfer their chat history from Android to iOS or vice versa as the messaging platform has officially launched this feature in the latest stable release of WhatsApp. “Today, you’ll have the ability to transfer your entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa.” said WhatsApp on Twitter. “Now you have the freedom to switch to and from your preferred devices.” the company added.
A new way to keep the chats that mean the most 📱📲 Today, you’ll have the ability to transfer your entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa. Now you have the freedom to switch to and from your preferred devices.— WhatsApp (@WhatsApp) July 20, 2022
However, the FAQ page shared by WhatsApp only highlights the method for chat transfer from Android to iOS. According to the details, you’ll need to be on the latest version of WhatsApp on both the sending and receiving devices and you must use the same phone number as your old phone or change it in your older device before initiating the chat transfer.
As per the support page, you’ll be able to transfer account information, profile photo, individual and group chats, chat history, chat media, and WhatsApp settings. You won’t be able to transfer WhatsApp call history or peer to peer payment messages.
The new feature will make it possible for people to switch between Android and iOS with ease without having to worry about their chat history.
How to Transfer Chat History From Android to iOS?
You need to make sure that you fulfil the following pre-requisites:
- Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or above, or Android 5 or above installed on your Android device
- iOS 15.5 or above installed on your iPhone
- Move to iOS app installed on your Android phone
- WhatsApp iOS version 126.96.36.199 or above on your new device
- WhatsApp Android version 188.8.131.52 or above on your old device
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new device
- Your iPhone must be factory new or reset to factory settings to pair with the Move to iOS app and move data from your Android phone
- Both of your devices must be connected to a power source
- Both of your devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you’ll need to connect your Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot
WhatsApp Chat Transfer Procedure:
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
- Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Start when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.