BOTSWANA: Botswana a luxury safari destination may lift ban on elephant culling, the proposal is under consideration.
The elephant hunting ban was imposed in 2014 by the then President
Ian Khama. Former military officer was president for ten years.
President Mokgweetsi Masisi, who came into the office in April 2018, have asked the ministers to review the Ban on Elephant culling.
After months of public meetings and consultations where organisations, communities and individuals were asked to comment, the report findings suggest
- Hunting ban be lifted.
- Develop a legal framework that will create an enabling environment for growth of safari hunting industry.
- Manage Botswana elephant population within its historic range
- Strategically placed human wildlife conflict fences be constructed in key hotspot areas
- Game ranches be demarcated to serve as buffers between communal and wildlife areas.
- All wildlife migratory routes that are not beneficial to the country’s conservation efforts be closed.
- The Kgalagadi southwesterly antelope migratory route into South Africa should be closed by demarcating game ranches between the communal areas and Kgalagadi Wildlife Management Areas.
- Regular but limited elephant culling be introduced and establishment of elephant meat canning, including production of pet food and processing into other by products.
The report by ministers also suggest canning of elephant meat as pet food.
These recommendations will be considered by the Presidents Masisi and the relevant ministries and be formed into new legislation.
Estimated number of elephants present in Botswana amount to 130,000 which is considered to be too many for the Eco system.
But many also argue that the countries tourism came to a boom after the ban was imposed. Removing the ban may adversely affect the countries tourism and overall international reputation.
Social media is already full of such reactions
One wrote on twitter:
Unbelievable – if these policies are enacted, I won’t be traveling to #Botswana – ever. Mmegi Online :: Committee recommends culling of elephants
Another Wrote :
Botswana is considering culling of elephants..as in mass murder
Maybe re-think your holiday plans
President Masisi has welcomed the reports and has promised that it will be considered before being implemented.
“I can promise you and the nation that we will consider it. A white paper will follow and it will be shared with the public,” he said.
“If needs be, we will give an opportunity to parliament to also interrogate it, and also allow them the space to intervene before we make a final determination.”