More than 70 people have been killed after a suspected chemical attack on the last remaining rebel stronghold in the Eastern Ghouta area – with fears growing the toll could surpass 100, aid organisations say.
Syrian state media denied government forces had launched any chemical attack as soon as the reports began circulating and said rebels in the eastern Ghouta town of Douma were in a state of collapse and spreading false news.
The US State Department said on Saturday reports of mass casualties from an alleged chemical weapons attack in Douma were “horrifying” and would, if confirmed, “demand an immediate response by the international community”.
The charity Union of Medical Care and Relief Organisations (USOSSM) told German news agency dpa that “significant numbers of children” were among those killed in the Douma attack.
In a separate statement, the charity said the death toll was expected to rise to well over 100, as rescuers had experienced “extreme difficulty reaching victims due to the continued bombardment on Douma.”
“Many of the victims were women and children and experienced symptoms consistent with inhaling toxic gas,” USOSSM said in a statement.
“Some of the symptoms victims experienced include: cyanosis; foaming of the mouth; cornea irritation; and the strong odour of a chlorine-like substance.”
Spokesman Ari D’Souza said a smell of chlorine had been reported but that rescuers believed that sarin gas had been used, as it sinks.
In an earlier report, the volunteer rescue group White Helmets wrote on Twitter that a helicopter had dropped a barrel bomb filled with chemicals on Douma, killing at least 40 people and injuring hundreds.
The tweet was accompanied by images of apparent victims of the alleged attack, including children, with foam around their mouths.
The pro-opposition Ghouta Media Centre said 75 civilians were killed and 1000 affected by the attack.
The offensive in Ghouta has been one of the deadliest of the seven-year-long war, killing more than 1,600 civilians according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The Observatory said it could not confirm if chemical weapons had been used in the attack on Saturday.
© RAW 2018
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.