The United Nations (UN) has rejected the deal of the century by President Donald Trump which is being called the Trump peace plan since it was not based on UN resolutions and international law.
President Donald Trump stood alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu where he presented his plan that promised to keep Jerusalem as Israel’s undivided capital.
According to MEMO, Stephane Dujarric, spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General said in a statement:
The position of the United Nations on the two-State solution has been defined, throughout the years, by relevant Security Council and General Assembly resolutions by which the Secretariat is bound.
Further adding in his statement:
The United Nations remains committed to supporting Palestinians and Israelis in resolving the conflict on the basis of United Nations resolutions, international law, and bilateral agreements and realizing the vision of two States – Israel and Palestine – living side by side in peace and security within recognized borders, on the basis of the pre-1967 lines.
People are saying that Trump forgot about one thing in his plan and that is Palestinians. .
Donald Trump basically promised a state to Palestinians with severe restrictions amongst other things.
According to The Guardian, a copy of the plan that was released by the White House had these proposals:
Trump Peace Plan or Deal of the Century proposed:
- Establish Jerusalem as Israel’s “undivided” capital, with a potential Palestinian capital to the east and north of the city.
- Recognize the vast majority of Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian territory as part of the country. A Palestinian state would receive territory, mostly desert, near Gaza to compensate for the loss of about 30% of the West Bank. Gaza and the West Bank would be linked by high speed rail.
- Recognize the Jordan valley, which makes up about a third of the occupied West Bank, as part of Israel.
- Offer a path to some form of Palestinian statehood but with no army, and overarching Israeli security control in some areas, including over the sea. The plan also sets a series of conditions the Palestinians have to meet before receiving independence including the “complete dismantling of Hamas”, which governs Gaza.
- The possibility of stripping Israeli citizenship from tens of thousands of Arab Israelis who live in 10 border towns, with those towns and their residents being included into any future state of Palestine.
- Recognize sections of the desert bordering Egypt as part of any future Palestinian state.
- Refuse Palestinian refugees the “right of return” to homes lost to Israel in previous conflicts.
Netanyahu praised the plan its “a great plan for Israel, it’s a great plan for peace”
He also said to Trump:
You have been the greatest friend that Israel has ever had in the White House.
The UN has reportedly rejected the plan saying it goes against international law and UN resolutions.
The deal of the century has also been getting heat by people on the internet especially Twitter.