Lieutenant (Lt) General Asim Munir has been named as the next Chief of Army Staff (COAS) of the Pakistan Army, which is one of the most important positions in the country. He will take charge as the 11th Chief of Army Staff (COAS) from November 30, 2022, a day after General Qamar Javed Bajwa retires from the position.
Lt General Asim Munir Biography
According to the details, Lt General Asim Munir started his military career in 1986 and he was part of the 17th Course of the Officers Training School (OTS) in Mangla. Also, he will be the second COAS after General Zia-ul-Haq to have graduated from the OTS Mangla.
Furthermore, he was commissioned in the 23rd Battalion of the Frontier Force Regiment. Moreover, Asim Munir was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General on 28 September 2018
Lt General Asim Munir is a recipient of the Sword of Honor and Hilal-e-Imtiaz (March 2018) and has been serving as the Quarter Master General at the General Headquarters (GHQ) since September 2018. Furthermore, he will be the first COAS to have served two other important positions, including the Director General (DG) Military General (MI) in early 2017 and later held the position of 23rd Director-General (DG) of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), which is the country’s premier spy intelligence agency.
Moreover, Lt General Asim Munir also commanded XXX Corps in Gujranwala from June 17. 2019 to October 6, 2021.
Awards and Decorations Held by Lt General Asim Munir
- Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Military) – 2018
- Tamgha-e-Diffa (General Service Medal) – Siachen Glacier Clasp
- Tamgha-e-Baqa (Nuclear Test Medal) – 1998
- Tamgha-e-Istaqlal Pakistan (Escalation with India Medal) – 2002
- Tamgha-e-Azm (Medal of Conviction) – 2018
- Service Medals (10 Years, 20 Years, 30 Years, and 35 Years)
- Jamhuriat Tamgha (Democracy Medal) – 1988
- Qarardad-e-Pakistan Tamgha (Resolution Day Golden Jubilee Medal) – 1990
- Tamgha-e-Salgirah Pakistan (Independence Day Golden Jubilee Medal) – 1997
- Command & Staff College Quetta (Instructors Medal)