Higher Education Commission (HEC) has announced the Chinese Government Scholarship Programme 2023-24 for students, teachers, and scholars to undertake degree studies in Undergraduate, Masters, and Doctoral Degree (PhD).
In order to enhance educational cooperation between China and Pakistan, Chinese Scholarship Council, Government of China is offering Pakistani students/scholars to study and conduct research in Chinese Universities. Meanwhile, HEC is the nominating agency for these scholarships in the academic year 2023-24 on behalf of the Government of Pakistan.
Chinese Government Scholarship Programme 2023-24
China Scholarship Council (CSC), entrusted by the Ministry of Education, People’s Republic of China, is responsible for the enrollment and the administration of Chinese Government Scholarship Program. Under the scholarship programme, qualified applicants can apply for scholarship for Undergraduate/Bachelors, Masters & Doctoral/PhD programs in respective field of studies.
Designated Chinese Universities offer a wide variety of academic programs in Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Medicine, Economics, Legal Studies, Management, Education, History, Literature, Philosophy and Fine Arts etc. for scholarship recipients at all levels.
|Supporting Categories||Major Study (including preparatory years)||Chinese Language (Preparatory study year*)|
It must be noted that preparatory Chinese language study year is mandatory for Undergraduate programs however can be exempted for the candidate with already having Chinese Proficiency of HSK level 3 (validity period: 2 years).
- Applicants must be Pakistani/AJ&K national. Dual nationality holders are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be in good health.
- Applicants with incomplete degrees on closing date of application are not allowed to apply.
- Applicants for Undergraduate/Bachelors program must have intermediate/A-level/FA-FSC (12 years) of education and be under the age of 25 at the time of application.
- Applicants for Masters program must have a Bachelors degree (16 years) and be under the age of 35 at the time of application.
- Applicants for PhD/Doctoral program must have a Masters degree MS/MPhil (17/18 years) and be under the age of 40 years at the time of application.
- Meet the application requirement as prescribed on China Scholarship Council website & portal.
- Meet the admission requirements of the applied universities in terms of academic eligibility, language proficiency and other relevant criteria.
- Applicants may not be in receipt of any other types of scholarship currently.
- All applicants are required to provide HAT or USAT test score.
However, the HEC website states that, “Applicant must have obtained a minimum score of 50 out of 100 in HAT or USAT test. Those applicants who have taken HAT or USAT test on or after January 01, 2022 may upload the test result on HEC portal for consideration. Without providing minimum HAT or USAT test score (50 out of 100), applications will not be considered for further process. Those interested applicants who are yet to take HAT or USAT test, may register for the same by visiting https://etc.hec.gov.pk.“
What Does The Program Cover Financially?
The Chinese Government Scholarship Program will provide tuition funds that will be comprehensively used by the host university. It may cover education, administration costs, health insurance and expenditures to support student activities during the program period.
Free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy to each awardee.
- Undergraduate Students: CNY 2,500 per month (Min)
- Masters Students: CNY 3,000 per month (Min)
- PhD Students: CNY 3,500 per month (Min)
Travel expenditure would be borne by the scholarship winners themselves and HEC will have no financial responsibility.
How to Apply For Chinese Government Scholarship Program 2023-24?
You can apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship Program 2023-24 at http://scholarship.hec.gov.pk/ after registering and filling your HEC profile, please select “Learning Opportunities Abroad”. After submission of the application, get its printed copy to be signed by applicant.
It is pertinent to mention that HEC online application portal shall close on December 15, 2022 (23:59 PM Pakistan Time).
Before applying for the Chinese Government Scholarship Programme 2023-24, kindly update your HEC profile with latest email/cell number & updated information. You are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible, as the online application system will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline.
Once application is successfully submitted on the HEC portal, retain printed copy of the application form signed by yourself.
Next, you need to submit the online application on CSC web portal at http://www.campuschina.org/ or http://www.csc.edu.cn through Program Type: A and Agency No.5861. Download submitted copy of complete application form from Chinese Scholarship Council Portal to print and retain a signed copy with yourself.
For additional instruction about Chinese Government Scholarship Program 2023-24, visit website of Chinese Embassy, Islamabad http://pk.chineseembassy.org/ or download Instructions for Chinese Government Scholarship and fill the Chinese Government Scholarship Online Application form on CSC portal.
It must be noted that Submission of online applications at CSC and HEC portal are mandatory and case of non-submission of form on any of the above two portals, the candidature will not be considered.
Perspective applicants are not required to submit any document (hard copies) to HEC at this stage of application process. Only shortlisted candidates will be required to submit following documents in English or Chinese. In case of any other language, document must be attached with notarized translation in English or Chinese.
To avoid any inconvenience later on, perspective applicants are directed to prepare application dossier as per following detail;
- Copy of signed application form of HEC in separate spiral binding. No other document to be attached with HEC application form.
- Copy of signed application form of CSC application portal along with following document;
- Attested copies of all educational documents, one photo copy of CNIC/B-form, Domicile, IBCC equivalency certificate (if applicable) and HEC equivalency if applicable.
- A study plan or research proposal (200 words for Bachelors, 800 words for Masters & PhD), copies of any research publication & achievements (PhD only), language proficiency certificate or IELTS/TOEFL/HSK score (where applicable), copy of valid ordinary passport till March 01, 2024 (first two pages).
- Photocopy of the Physical Examination Record (attached) for foreigners should be completed in English. (The original copy should be kept by the applicant.) The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Physical Examination Record including basic blood test reports for foreigners as per China’ Govt. policy.
- Non-criminal Record (Police Clearance Certificate) not older than six months before the application deadline.
- The forms with incomplete records or without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicant are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
- Apply to the target universities for pre-admission letter (optional) for Masters & PhD before submitting on-line application if available. HEC/CSC cannot guarantee the enrollment of your target university if no pre-admission notice is acquired from the applicant. Applicants for Masters & PhD with admission documents will obtain priority in winning the Chinese Govt. Scholarships.
- In case of employment, No Objection Certificate (NOC) from applicant’s employer will be required.
The deadline to submit online application / apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship Program 2023-24 is Thursday, 15th December 2022 and it must be completed on HEC portal at www.scholarship.hec.gov.pk. Furthermore, in order to check deadline and submit online application for HAT test (Masters &PhD) and USAT test (Undergraduate), please visit https://etc.hec.gov.pk/#/login if you have already a valid HAT or USAT score after January 01, 2022, you may submit the score on HEC portal during application submission.