ISLAMABAD : Installation of electro-mechanical equipments in Gomal Zam Power House for generating 17.4MW has been completed and power generating units will be put on mechanical run shortly, leading to the electricity generation.
Official sources told APP here Monday that construction work on the project was continuing despite financial constraints and law and order situation in the project area, which was reflective of WAPDA commitment for harnessing the indigenous water resource vital for progress and prosperity of the country.
Gomal Zam dam was constructed about 35 kilometers from Tank at Khjori Kach area of South Waziristan that would irrigate 1,63,086 acres barren land of Tank and D.I Khan districts.
They said that the dam would have 1-14MAF gross live storage of water whereas 0.360 MAF of perennial and flood flow of river Gomal to provide irrigation water to barren lands.
A 437 feet high dam, a barrage, a canal network of 260km and electricity generation capacity of 17.4 MW were included in the project, they said.
The sources said that WAPDA has also initiated construction of Waran Canal System as an integral component of Gomal Zam Dam Project, located in Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA) and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
They said that the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) was providing $12 million for construction of Waran Canal System in addition to providing $80 million to help complete main dam, powerhouse and irrigation system of Gomal Zam Dam Project.
Dilating upon the additional benefits of Waran Canal System, they said that crop sowing in the area would increase from 26 percent to 87 percent and harvesting intensity from 9 percent to 80 percent, besides boosting the live-stock and making drinking water available to the local populace.
It is pertinent to mention that Gomal Zam Dam is a multi-purpose project with the objectives to ensure availability of water for irrigated agriculture, control floods and provide low-cost hydel electricity.
12,829 million (Rs. 4,964 million in Foreign Exchange) which was approved by executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) on 31August, 2001.
Gomal Zam Dam is located at Khajuri Kach on Gomal River in South Waziristan Agency, Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA), on the West of Districts Tank and D.I.Khan of NWFP. The areas to be irrigated fall in District Tank & Tehsil D.I.Khan Tank Road.
From Tank, the Dam site is about 60 km (38 miles) to the West and is connected through a metal led road.
Objectives and Components
Primary objectives of the Project are:
- Development of a lined canal irrigation system
- Hydropower generation of about 17.4 MW
- Control of flashy hill torrent floods.
Facts and Figures of Gomal Zam Dam:
- LOCATION OF DAM Khajuri Katch on Gomal River
- MAIN COMPONENTS
- Height 436.4 Ft.
- Length 758 Ft.
- Type Roller Compacted Concrete Curved Gravity Dam
- Gross Storage 1.140 MAF
- Live Storage 0.892 MAF
- Irrigation System
- Length of Main Canal 60.5 Km
- F.S Discharge 848 Cusecs
- Length of Distributaries 205.8 km
- Cultureable Command Area 163,086 Acres
- Power House
- Installed Capacity 17.4 MW
- Length of Barrage 620 ft.
- PROJECT BENEFITS
- Irrigated Agriculture Development 163,086 Aces
- Power Generation 90.9 GWH
- Flood Control
- PROJECT COST
- Approved PC-1 (2001) Rs. 12829 Million
- Revised PC-1 Rs. 19936 Million
- ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
- Displacement of Population Nil
- Flood Mitigation Major Positive Impact
- Improvement of Standard of Living Major Positive Impact
- Improvement of Socio-Economic Conditions Major Positive impact
- Adverse Impact Insignificant